Myrtle Beach Festivals Set Stage for Summer Fun
For those adventurous souls who want to explore the Grand Strand’s many attractions, there is no shortage of free, family-friendly activities spread around throughout the area — many of them just a short distance from Compass Cove. And especially in the summer, an abundance of festivals offers everything from live music and entertainment to fireworks displays and picnics. Here’s a list of some of Myrtle Beach’s most popular summer parties:
* Military Appreciation Days (through May 31): The former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was open for more than 50 years, creating a close connection between the Sun Fun Capital and the armed forces that continues today. Every Memorial Day weekend, the Grand Strand kicks the patriotism up a notch with Military Appreciation Days. Located just south of and a bit inland from Compass Cove, The Market Common pays tribute to its air-base roots by hosting the Military Appreciation Days Parade & Picnic on Saturday, May 27. A patriotic parade starts the day’s festivities, followed by a picnic in Grand Park with great food, live music and other activities for the whole family. On Memorial Day, Monday, May 29, the Veterans March rolls down Ocean Boulevard, and a remembrance ceremony takes place at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center.
* Summer Nights at Broadway (June 6-Sept. 4): Broadway at the Beach is a hub of shopping, dining, nightlife and entertainment, and during the summer months, the action picks up even more. This free, family-friendly festival features live music and entertainers, like jugglers, comedians and magicians, as well as fireworks shows on most Tuesday and Friday nights. There are also lots activities geared toward the kids, like face-painting, drawing contests and other activities.
* Carolina Country Music Fest (June 8-11): If you haven’t picked up your ticket the country music concert of the summer, time is a-wastin’. Now in its third year, the Carolina Country Music Fest has brought some of the brightest stars in country music to the old Pavilion amusement park site for a three-day show by the seashore, and this year’s list of headliners may be the biggest yet, with Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney and Darius Rucker among more than 30 acts set to play on three stages.
* Hot Summer Nights Festival (June 12-Sept. 4): When the sun sets on another fun summer day, keep the party going with a trip to the heart of the downtown district. Held at various points along the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, Hot Summer Nights Festival includes the Kids Carnival on Mondays with free activities for the little ones, fireworks displays on Wednesdays at the Second Avenue Pier, and live music and entertainment the rest of the week on the main stage at Plyler Park.
* Beach, Boogie & BBQ Fest (Sept. 1-2): It’s sad to see summer end, but there’s no better way to send it out with a bang than with this two-day shindig. More than 75 of the world’s top pitmasters descend upon The Market Common to compete for the big prize, and festival patrons are the real winners with the chance to sample excellent barbecue, ribs, chicken wings and more. Live music, arts and crafts vendors, and kids’ events are among the many fun things on the menu.
For a fun-filled summer getaway, make your Myrtle Beach vacation plans today, and check out one of the many festivals around town. Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort puts you right in the middle of all the action!Back to All Resort News